Lamb Sandwiches with Middle Eastern Slaw
1/3 cup Tahiti
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
3 cups coarsely shredded green cabbage
1 cup coarsely grated carrots
3 blade lamb chops, each about 8 ounces and 3/4 inch thick, trimmed
of excess fat
Extra-virgin olive oil
Ground black pepper
4 pita pockets
1. In a medium bowl whisk the dressing ingredients. In a large bowl combine the cabbage and carrots, and then pour the dressing over the top. Mix well. Set aside.
2. Lightly brush both sides of the lamb chops with oil and season evenly with salt and pepper. Allow the chops to stand at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes before grilling.
3. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
4. Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the chops over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until cooked to your desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare, turning once or twice. Transfer the chops to a cutting board and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Cut the meat off the bones, and chop or shred it into small pieces. Add the lamb to the slaw.
5. Open the pita pockets and fill them with the lamb mixture. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings
Comments are closed.